Can I Backdate My Marriage Tax Allowance Claim?

Can I Backdate My Marriage Tax Allowance Claim

The Marriage Allowance is a helpful tax break for married couples, allowing them to save money on their taxes. But life can get complicated, like when couples go through a divorce or if they weren’t aware of the allowance in the first place. This can lead to questions about whether it’s possible and legal to claim the Marriage Tax Allowance for previous years. In this blog, we’ll look at how you can backdate your Marriage Tax Allowance claim, including what happens if you’ve since divorced or separated.

What is Marriage Tax Allowance?

First off, let’s break down what the Marriage Tax Allowance actually is. It’s a way for couples where one partner earns less than the personal allowance threshold to transfer some of their tax-free allowance to their higher-earning partner. This can lower the tax bill for the higher earner.

Can You Backdate Your Claim?

Yes, you can backdate your Marriage Tax Allowance claim. The HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) allows couples to apply for this allowance for up to four previous tax years as long as they were eligible during those years. This means if you missed out on claiming in the past, you could still get a refund for those years.

The process for backdating is straightforward and can usually be done through the HMRC website or by contacting them directly. You’ll need to provide evidence of your eligibility for the years you wish to backdate your claim. Alternatively, to ease the process and save yourself time, Claims Advisory Services can help you claim up to £1,242 of marriage tax allowance by applying on your behalf.

What About Divorced Couples?

If you’re divorced but were married during the years you want to claim for, you can still apply for the Marriage Tax Allowance for those years, including the tax year that your divorce was completed. However, you can’t claim for any year after your divorce was finalised.  It’s important to note that if your circumstances change, such as divorcing or earning above the personal allowance threshold, you must inform HMRC, as this affects your eligibility for the Marriage Tax Allowance.

How to Apply

Applying for a backdated Marriage Tax Allowance claim is similar to making a regular claim. You can do it online through the HMRC website, where you’ll find guidance on how to include previous years in your application. Make sure you have all the necessary information handy, such as both partners’ National Insurance numbers. Alternatively, feel free to get in touch with our specialists at Claims Advisory Services, who can take the stress out of the process by applying on your behalf.

The Marriage Tax Allowance can be a great way for eligible couples to save on their taxes, and the option to backdate claims ensures that no one misses out due to not knowing about the allowance or because of changes in their marital status. For those who are divorced, it’s reassuring to know that you can still claim for the period when you were married. Always stay updated on tax laws and consult with a professional service like Claims Advisory Services or HMRC directly for personalised advice. Remember, tax laws and allowances can change, so it’s important to stay informed about the latest regulations and how they may affect your eligibility for benefits like the Marriage Tax Allowance.