The Complete Marriage Tax Allowance Refund Guide

marriage tax allowance claim

How To Claim Your Marriage Tax Allowance Refund

The UK government offers MarriageTax Allowance as a means to provide married couples or civil partners with extra financial support. This is different from the Married Couple’s Allowance, which is specifically for couples where at least one partner was born before 6 April 1935.

Eligible couples can claim up to £252 in tax relief for the tax year 2023/24 through the Marriage Allowance, which can be a real help with expenses like food, bills, and household costs. Surprisingly, around 2.4 million qualifying families do not apply for this benefit, missing out on this helpful financial aid. However, with assistance from Claims Advisory Services, the application process is straightforward, and couples can quickly take advantage of this tax break to receive the financial assistance they need.

What is the Marriage Tax Allowance, and Who Can Claim It?

Marriage Tax Allowance allows you to transfer £1,260 of your tax-free personal allowance to your spouse or civil partner if they earn more than you. This is available for married couples or those in a civil partnership with a combined household income of under £62,840.

To apply, you must either be married or in a civil partnership; just living together doesn’t count. One of you must be a non-taxpayer, meaning you either earn under the £12,570 personal allowance or are unemployed. The other partner needs to be a basic 20% rate taxpayer, earning less than £50,270. Higher or additional-rate taxpayers aren’t eligible for this allowance.

How Much Can We Get?

For the tax year 23/24, the amount available is up to £252. You can also backdate your claim by up to four tax years, potentially receiving up to £1,242 in total.  You can use the marriage allowance calculator on the government website to work out how much you could save. 

How Does It Work?

The marriage tax break means that the tax-paying partner pays less tax as part of the other partner’s unused allowance gets transferred over to them. Both partners’ tax codes are adjusted to increase the tax-paying partner’s take-home pay. The lower earning partner can still earn up to £11,310 that year without paying tax. However, if they earn more than £11,310, they will start paying tax.

How Long Does It Take?

This is entirely dependent on HMRC; It could be done relatively quickly, but it also may take time, so your patience is appreciated. The time you notice the difference in your take-home pay will depend on how quickly your employer updates their payroll. If you’re self-employed, HMRC will adjust your self-assessment tax bill accordingly.

Can I Backdate My Claim?

Yes, if you are eligible, you can backdate your claim by up to four years. This means you could be entitled to a significant rebate if you are eligible for the backdated payments. This rebate is available to a huge number of UK couples who may not realise they’re entitled to it and could help make a difference in their finances.

Do I need to complete a refund form to get my marriage tax allowance backdated? 

Unlike the 575T form used for married couples allowance, there isn’t a specific form that you need to fill out to receive a refund for the previous years you were entitled to the marriage tax allowance. When you apply for the marriage tax allowance, you can backdate your claim for up to four previous years and receive any outstanding money you are entitled to in a lump sum.

Be Cautious with Income Limits

If the non-taxpayer in your partnership earns between £11,310 and £12,570, you need to be careful. In this income range, the benefits of the marriage tax allowance might not be as straightforward due to the specifics of tax calculations. In some instances, despite being eligible, you might find that the allowance doesn’t financially benefit you, and could even lead to a net loss.

Therefore, if you’re a non-taxpayer with an income over £11,310, it’s crucial to assess whether the marriage tax allowance will be advantageous for you before applying.

Understanding Your Taxpayer Status

Sometimes, determining if you’re a non-taxpayer isn’t clear-cut. Your personal allowance – the amount you can earn without paying tax – might differ from the standard figures for various reasons, such as having a company car, owing back taxes, or earning interest on savings that pushes you over the threshold. Your tax code letter will provide this information. To understand your tax code and what it could me for you, you can use a  free tax code calculator.

Higher Income and the Marriage Tax Allowance

For those whose taxpaying partner earns just above £50,270, it’s important to understand how the marriage tax allowance works. While it does reduce the amount of tax your spouse or civil partner pays by transferring some of your personal allowance to them, this transfer doesn’t affect the threshold for higher rate tax. Nor does it increase their personal allowance.

This is a crucial distinction, especially for those earning slightly more than £50,270. It means that if your income is just over this limit, you won’t be eligible for the marriage tax allowance, as the transfer of personal allowance won’t bring you into the basic rate tax bracket.

To qualify, the basic rate taxpayer in the relationship must be earning less than £50,270.

Be sure to check out our Claim Services here.



No, one of you needs to be employed and therefore pay tax in order to get the allowance as it effectively reduces the amount of tax you pay… therefore you need to be paying some tax to be entitled to a reduction.
Yes, for marriage tax to work one of you needs to be a non taxpayer. So as long as one of you is working and earning under £50,270 then it doesn’t matter if the other partner is unemployed.
Yes, if while you are on maternity leave it means that your income falls below £12,570 you can apply for marriage tax allowance and transfer 10% of your tax free allowance to your spouse.
No, once you have been approved for marriage tax allowance, the personal allowance from the lower earning partner will transfer to the higher earner each year. This will continue unless one of you cancels the marriage tax allowance or informs HMRC that your circumstances have changed.
Yes, this is where the marriage tax allowance comes into play. As long as you meet the criteria of one of you being a basic taxpayer and the other a non taxpayer, you will then share your tax allowance.
Yes you can claim marriage tax allowance if you have savings providing the interest earned on them does not take you over the taxable income threshold of £12,570.
Yes, being married comes with a number of tax benefits Any monetary gifts between you and your spouse during your lifetime are tax free. Any property or possessions you leave to your spouse after you die are also tax free. This means the surviving partner can get double the tax-free allowance for inheritance tax purposes.
To be eligible for the marriage tax allowance, the non-taxpaying partner must submit the application. Here at The Claims Advisory Service, we can assist you in saving time by applying for backdating on your behalf. With our years of experience in this field, we have helped numerous couples claim the tax breaks that they were previously unaware of. Our knowledgeable team is always available to assist you in the application process and recover any previously owed funds.

Further Reading

These trusted resources provide a comprehensive understanding of the Marriage Tax Allowance, how to apply, and how to determine if you’re eligible. They also offer tools and calculators to help you make informed decisions.

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC): Marriage Allowance Guide: This is the official government page for Marriage Allowance. It provides detailed information on eligibility, how to apply, and other important details.

Citizens Advice – Marriage Allowance Information: Citizens Advice offers guidance on a range of financial topics, including the Marriage Tax Allowance. They can also provide personalised advice if needed.

Which? – Understanding Marriage Allowance: Which? provides a clear breakdown of the Marriage Allowance, including eligibility criteria and application process.

The Money Advice Service – Marriage Allowance: Offers independent advice on financial matters, including a section on Marriage Allowance.

HMRC YouTube Channel: For visual guides and explanations about the Marriage Allowance and other tax-related topics.